What are Export Promotional Councils (EPC) ? What role they have, in India’s Exports?2 min read
Export promotional Councils ( EPC ) are authorities which are basically promoting, supporting and assisting firms in entering the International markets and realising their optimum potential from given resources. They also provide guidance and assistance to the exporters.
In legal terms, export promotional councils are non-profit organisation registered as a company or society. Each Export promotional council is responsible for his particular group of products.
What role does EPC play in export import industry?
- Promoting Government Schemes: Export Promotional Council (EPC) helps and promotes the exporters by making them aware of the government schemes and other benefits.
- Collect and restoring data: Export Promotional Council (EPC) further promotes and collects the export data to compare the industry growth and solve any hurdle in between.
- Sending trade delegations: To make arrangements for sending trade delegations and study teams to one or more countries for promoting the export of specific products and to circulate the reports of specific products and diversifying to new products.
- Other roles: EPC also plays various roles at the policy level to promote and grow the industry.
Why Export Promotional councils are useful for the 1st time exporter/importer?
As per the Foreign trade policy of India, any person who either wants to acquire any license to import export restricted or other similar categories of goods or to avail any export related benefit or scheme is liable to register for Registration Cum Membership Certificate (RCMC).
Export promotional councils provide various benefits to the registered exporters. And hence plays a significant role for any exporter in India.
How to register with Export Promotional Councils ?
There are currently 26 export councils and nine commodity board of India. All of these export promotional councils promote a specific set of the product. Hence, the exporter should register under the concerned Export Promotional Councils as per their line of products.
E.g. if you are an exporter of coconut, then you should register under Coconut Board of India.
List of EPC Website
- EEPC India
- Project Exports Promotion Council of India (PEPC)
- Basic Chemicals,Cosmetics and Dyes Export Promotion Council (Chemexcil)
- Chemicals and Allied Products Export Promotion Council (CAPEXIL)
- Council for Leather Exports
- Sports Goods Export Promotion Council
- Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council
- Shellac Export Promotion Council
- Cashew Export Promotion Council of India
- The Plastics Export Promotion Council
- Pharmaceutical Export Promotion Council
- Indian Oil Seeds And Produce Export Promotion Council (IOPEPC)
- Services Export Promotion Council
- Export Promotion Council for EOUs & SEZa